Monday, July 13, 2009

a play for the writing challenge.

It's hard to format with plays on this thing.
****

SCENE - IN A MUSIC LAB
JAYSON (23) leans over a worn guitar. He admires it, runs a cloth over it. After a moment, he begins to pluck out a melody. It lasts for a few moments. He is soft spoken and shy.
BANG! The door to the music lab slams open, and in pops ELISA (22), holding another bright shiny guitar.

ELISA
Hello?

JAYSON
Oh, hello Elisa.

ELISA
Hi.

An awkward pause. JAYSON beckons her in.

JAYSON
I didn’t know you played he guitar.

ELISA
I’ve wanted to learn.

ELISA sits next to him on the bench. JAYSON scoots over.

JAYSON
Have you learned any chords?

ELISA
Only one.

It takes a few tries, she finally gets one. Jayson cringes.

JAYSON
You need to tune that up a bit.

ELISA
Can you show me?

JAYSON takes the guitar, starts tuning it by ear.

ELISA
You know, it’s somewhat strange how you’re always in here by yourself.

JAYSON
(soft)
I like the guitar.

ELISA
Yeah, we know. You just always used to hang out in the apartment, always be cooking, always watching that old T.V. Show.

JAYSON
Dragnet?

ELISA
Yeah.

JAYSON
I finished the series again.

ELISA
But we wish to see you again.

JAYSON shrugs.

JAYSON
I like it here. It’s quiet.

ELISA
But we miss you.

JAYSON
I’m sure you do.

ELISA
No, Jayson, all of us do.

JAYSON
I doubt that.

JAYSON hands her the guitar back.

JAYSON
It’s tuned.

ELISA
Thanks.

JAYSON picks up his guitar again and picks out a tune.

ELISA
How do you do that?

JAYSON
It’s just a E minor Chord with a B diminished minor. Here. Put your hands like this.

JAYSON covers her hands on her guitar, presses her fingers down.

JAYSON
Now pluck the third and fifth strings. Then switch.

He moves her fingers again. They make music.

ELISA
It sounds so pretty.

JAYSON
It’s just something I like.

ELISA
Why don’t you play it in the apartment.

JAYSON
I...could.

ELISA
Wonderful!

ELISA stands up, almost dropping her guitar. JAYSON catches it.

ELISA
We’ll go right back and you can play it for Kevin and Nick and Andy!

JAYSON
I...don’t know.

ELISA
Come on, we’ve missed you!

JAYSON
I’m sure you have.

ELISA
No, everyone’s missed you. Kevin and Nick and...

JAYSON
(vicious)
And Andy?

ELISA
Yeah. And Andy.

JAYSON
You really think he “misses” me?

ELISA
Well, I think so.

JAYSON strums a harsh chord.

JAYSON
You really think that he actually pauses to think that hard about me.

ELISA
(awkward)
Jayson, we all miss you.

JAYSON
I’m sure they miss the background noise.

ELISA
No, we miss you. We miss talking to you, seeing you around, hanging out, playing video games -

JAYSON
Andy doesn’t.

ELISA
I think Andy does.

JAYSON
I think Andy just lays around with his new boyfriend all day. Or wait, is he dating a girl this time?

ELISA
Jayson....

JAYSON
It’s hard to keep track.

ELISA
That’s unfair.

JAYSON
So is he dating around so much. You’re holding the guitar wrong.

He corrects her grip.

ELISA
Jayson...

JAYSON
What.

ELISA
Jayson, he was never dating you.

JAYSON
I know that.

ELISA
I know...I know you had a...a... “thing” for him, but you can’t expect him to just be there.

JAYSON
And he can’t expect me to just be there whenever he feels like it.

ELISA
He’s not trying to keep you away.

JAYSON
He’s doing a good job.

Quiet. Jayson strums along on the guitar, frowning.

ELISA
I miss you.

JAYSON
I miss you too.

ELISA
You could always hang out with me and Kevin instead. We’d like to see you.

JAYSON
I’m usually kept here.

No comments: