Monday, August 11, 2008

The problem with Christianity.

Or: Why I don't like visiting churches.

Let me preface this immediately:  I am a Christian.  I don't know if I could be considered a strong Christian, as I have crisises (crisi?) of faith around two or three times a year.   So weak Christian?  I don't think I'm that bad.  

Anyways, yes.  I am still a Christian.  I consider myself a Christian.  Most people consider me a Christian.  Whatever.  Not that that matters too much.

But Christianity as an institution bothers me sometimes.  Make that most of the time.

For one thing, we're a religion based on forgiveness, yet, most of the time, we judge.  Yeah, that's almost become stereotypical to say, but its true.  We have little tolerance for mistakes.  

We're a religion of perfectionists.  And that sucks.

And its ignoring a huge issue. The church, as an institution, is supposed to bring people closer to God.  And its fine with "keeping" people close to God.  It likes those who are closer to God.  

But what about those who struggle with their faith?  If (and this is a pretty huge if) they ever mention it, they get a "pray and read the bible" band-aid, and that's all.  They might get a copy of "40 days of purpose", if they're lucky.

Furthermore, everyone would feel uncomfortable.  Awkward.  We make all this small talk at church, but no one really likes to hear about someone's deep and utter misery.  

And then that's the struggling with their faith side of it.  What about sins we constantly warn and judge against?  What about lying?  What about stealing?  What about sexual sin?

That's a big one.  The church is always warning against it.  "Don't have sex before marriage, you'll fail!"  "Don't do this, it'll mess you up for life!"  "Don't do this, you'll be forever changed!"

While I'm not saying that this isn't a big issue, I think we're losing track of the VERY thing our faith is based on. Forgiveness.  Are you saying that sexual sin is too big for God to forgive?  Are you saying that sexual sin is outside of God's realm?  Yes, I'm not arguing that it could cause some issues, or guilt, or differences in opinion, but come on, God can forgive those, too.   God's bigger than your sin, and he's bigger than a dirty mind.  He can still use a person no matter what, even if they're "sinful" or "dirty" or "twisted".

(and to my mother, who might be worried, don't worry, this isn't about me, this is an attitude I've observed.)

But could a person really get help in church for this?  What help is available?  People would just sit back and feel uncomfortable and tell them to pray.

Say, if, in my college aged bible study at Whittier Hills, when someone asked how I was, and I said "I've been seriously doubting that God even exists" (which I doubt about twice a year), I'd get a double take, a concerned face, and they would ask if I've prayed about.  Then move on to a less uncomfortable topic of conversation.

1 comment:

Noel said...

Lyn, what a wonderfully written and well thought out post. I agree that the institution of religion needs to be addressed, but I do also earnestly believe in the teachings of Christ where we all just need to love each other for the short time we're here on earth.